Re: New rotary engines

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: New rotary engines
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:29:17 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Could be a typo, but consider:

The rotary engine is quite compact. Given enuf room any two of just about any
kind can be joined. Simplest is one behind the other. Fancy machinists make it
look easy. In other ways that are far more complex, the motors can be side by
side with a common crank or two cranks and
a gear set.

654cc rotaries are tiny and could concievably be one at each front wheel and
the ignition and fuel systems shared. This sixe motor is very highly developed,
since the Japanese laws make special provision of that as maximum size for the
Kei car class.

Having 2 trannys seems a bit much, though. If they were variable ratio boxes
and governed by one source, why not?  The roadway would act as differential.
Sitting here typing this speculation seems fanciful indeed, but technology
leaps fast and far these inovative days. Not
every clever-jack idea works, but the try seems most interesting.

They thought Issigonis was mad to put the tranny in the sump of the Mini. Well
he was, but an awful lot of fun's been had with that setup. Virtually every
other manufacturer was inspired by the Mini and went from there.  My Civic Si
might never have been developed without the
Mini concepts.

Captain Rapture