Re: lbc gifts

To: patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: lbc gifts
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 11:22:37 EST
In a message dated 12/31/2000 12:58:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU writes:

> the terminals are having problems.  One is so
> corroded that I can't do anything with it, so I buy a new one, and I can't
> get

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't recommend replacing just the terminal.  Normally corrosion will eat
it's way right up the wire, inside the insulation where you can't see it.  It
is better to buy pre-molded battery cables in the correct length and replace
the whole thing.  These are available at all auto stores.  After you have
them in place, coat both ends with an anti corrosion spray (available by
Permatex, I think), or simply slather vasoline all over the connections.
This keeps out air and moisture that causes more corrosion.  (I never trusted
those cute little felt rings that are supposed to inhibit corrosion.)

Just my 2 pence.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget