Re: Shut it off!!!

To: "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shut it off!!!
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 18:11:29 -0600
Larry,
         I haven't thought this through completely, but that hasn't stopped
me before. Usually the idjit light on with key out signifies a blown diode
in the alternator. They will blow on occasion when "spiked".... especially
if the battery is disconnected while the car is running. Could the corroded
green wires at the fuse box create a similar condition?  Anyway, if the
diode is at fault, a replacement alternator is the most expedient fix... a
rectifier assembly the cheapest.
         HTH     Peter C
-