Brake problem

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake problem
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:58:56 -0500
I finally got the 71 Midget to run correctly after the enigine and
tranny rebuild (thanks to the help from the list), now I'm trying to
make sure it will stop as well. I replaced the handbrke cable because
the one on it was at the end of adjustment and it still didn't work. The
new one turned out the same way, end of adjustment but stil doesn't
work. The lever that goes through the backplate has a lot of play, and
when I pulled the brakes to check it, the slot that it goes through is
much larger than the lever, and looks like something is missing, but
none of my books show a ghood detail of it. Is there something missing,
if so, what is it called, and if not what else would cause the handbrake
problem. Thanks!