Re: steering column

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering column
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:18:38 -0000
From Frank Clarici <spritenut at Exit109.com>

. Basically your life depends on that ONE
> bolt.

Helicopters rely on 2 nuts.  The one holding the rotor head on and one that
is dumb enough to fly it.
(Boeing-Vertol Chinook.........2 angry palm trees fighting over a Winnebago)

But seriously, the column has a tapered groove for the bolt to slide
through.  I got caught out when I first bought one of these cars.  Having
pulled the column to lower the dash for a screen change I managed to savage
the bolt threads after sliding the column onto the rack splines with a few
teeth out.  Can't remember if there are any markings on the top of the
splined section of the rack.  If it is like my pre-war, there is a radial
line on the upper face of the column that aligns with the split in the
column where the pinch bolt tightens.  Half-threaded bolt, nut and a good
spring washer (plus locktite and a nylock for luck!)  Pull the steering
wheel towards you to test.  Anything more than a couple of mil is too much.
This would also show if the clamp was not pinched tight enough, the steering
wheel was loose on the splines or if the (post '60s?) steering column had
sheared the pins that allow it to collapse in a crash.

Not meaning to teach egg-sucking.....just "BTDT".