Re: Turbo bugeye lives

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turbo bugeye lives
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:23:15 -0800
I believe the piston was holed back in August when I underwent a lot of
problems with a leaky carb causing a very lean condition coupled with overly
advanced timing when I was experimenting with 'performance timing'.  As a
result of the lean condition and over-advancemant, I was running very hot
with pre-ignition.  All that is sorted out now.  The 1.5"SU is giving me a
good mixture without leaks and more HP.  Also, despite the literature
suggesting that total advance should be about 30deg,  and about 12deg or
more at idle, I've found that my motor is happier with less advance.  I'm
currently timed 7 deg at idle.  I don't know whrether the cam or the turbo
is the reason, but that is what works best for me.
Of course, some might suggest that frequent placing of the gas pedal on the
floor might have contributed to it, but I don't see how that could be, even
though the pedal is very close to the holed #4 piston.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)