Re: Unbreako - R, S, or T

To: rickfisk@concentric.net, Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Unbreako - R, S, or T
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 10:02:23 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi All

I must have missed this thread when it was first posted but maybe I can shed
some light on original British fasteners, their strength rating codes and
finishes.  I have been researching this for years since I decided to do a
concours restoration on my BN1 and I am also take notice of the fasteners on
my very original AN5 as I am getting it on the road.

Here is a listing of all the strength rating codes that I am aware of and
what I've been able to determine so far on their strength ratings.  I have
been told that the lower the letter the weaker the fastener is however from
documentation that doesn't always seem to be the case.

A       28 TONS TENSILE
B       UNKNOWN
D       45/55 TONS TENSILE
P       35 TONS TENSILE? (this doesn't seem to fit the pattern).
R       45/55 TONS TENSILE (this is the most common rating on older cars of
the
          50's and according to Philip Brown of British Tools & Fasteners is
equal to
          U.S. Grade 5).
S        UNKNOWN  (the S code seems to have replaced the R code in the 60's
so
          one might assume that the strength rating is the same i.e., 45/55
TONS
          TENSILE).
T        55/65 TONS TENSILE
V       UNKNOWN (I have found these for the most part on engines where high
         strength is needed so once again I assume that its rating to be at
least
         55/65 TONS TENSILE).

As far as fasteners that are black oxided, the majority of BSF bolts on my
BN1 were finished this way as well as the "V" rated UNF bolts.  I haven't
found any black oxide fasteners on the Bugeye as of yet.

I hope this helps and maybe we have an engineer from England on the list who
can clarify some of this.

Curt Arndt
Carlsbad, CA
'55 BN1, '60 AN5