Re: Rant on Panhard Rods (was More Tech Session Pics)

To: "Elliott, Patrick" <patrick.elliott@attws.com>, <NewNGsInfo@cs.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rant on Panhard Rods (was More Tech Session Pics)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:11:49 +1100
Panhard rods are a good thing in general, I should have said that explicitly
I guess. (even though you added a :-) it really may not have been clear.

Mini Mania sell those combo units (or did at one point) that connected to
the body
near the transnission tunnel. I could *never* recommend those units. I'll
just check their
web site.... Thats the same one. They call it Axle stabiliser. I'd go for
the Winner's
Circle unit instead or I think Tom Colby at Speedwell also sold one that was
good too.

I can't really remember Tom's (it was a while ago), but the Winner's Circle
unit has a
very good mounting system - it distributes the (significant) load through
the gas tank
mounting with a long attachment. This is quite important - I ripped holes in
the floor of
my first race midget with a inverted pyramid tubular structure (3 mounting
points in the
boot floor). You need to distribute this load!

Note that the Winner's Circle unit is not as long as a custom one can be,
but it
also works without affecting exhaust, handbrake etc straight out of the box.
(My bugeye
had the WC panhard rod fitted when I bought it).

Mike