Re: Seat Covers??

To: Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>
Subject: Re: Seat Covers??
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:43:54 -0800
Cc: "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
I also got the M*$$ covers for the Bugeye.  Did not have cushions, so I went to
an
auto upholsterer that specialized in classics and low riders in the area.  He
made
cushions from some closed foam material and installed the covers for $75.00 per
seat and $50.00 per seat back.  When we took the seat back apart, the thick
horse
hair padding was in pieces, so the upholsterer said to go the Home Defect and
get
furnace filter material that looked just like the original horse hair material.
did and he installed it with a little extra foam padding to fill it out.  He
even
spray painted the pan and squib with black paint for me because when we took
them
apart the surface rust on the metal made it necessary.  He left one all
together as
a pattern for the first one.  I took the pan and squib from him and sand blasted
them and returned them.  When the first seat was done, I took the pan and squib
for
the second one and sand blasted that.  He then finished the second seat.
     The only problem was, when I finally installed the seats in the car, the
seat
foam turned out to be too firm.  My head was sticking above the windshield
frame.
I'm only 5 foot nine.
The original DunloPillow cushion that came with the car was very soft.  You sunk
into the seat.  To fix this I resigned myself to the fact I would have to buy
the
M*$$ or VB cushion sets just to replace the bottom cushions for the correct
firmness.  As luck would have it, when I contacted George Merryweather to drop
ship
the cushion sets to me, he said he had two cushions from a 1098 car left over
from
a couple of sets.  The guy that paid for them only wanted the seat backs!
George
said he would sell them both to me for $50.00 including shipping! He saved my
but
in more than one way.  When the cushions arrived, I carefully removed the seat
cover and replaced the cushions myself carefully observing how the other cushion
was done.  Turned out O.K. and my head is no longer above the windshield  for a
total of $250.00
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite