Re: Age Barometerx-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Age Barometerx-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:15:23 -0500
Herb,
Oh, that's ok.  I'm use to getting all kinds of remarks.  You'll be lost to
come up with one that I haven't already heard.  There was a time when I
started to go by my middle name, Trevor, to avoid all the hoopla it brought
on but I decided that after all its my father's name and mine and after all
I'm entitled to use it.  By the way, the cowboy's real name is Leonard
Sligh.  With a moniker like that it's easy to see why he took my name.  Not
really it could seem that way, thou.
Anyway,  I own a 60 bugeye called bugga that a couple of my Healey buddies
and I resurrected from the grave in 1980.  This hybrid actually evolved from
a 70 midget purchased for $500 with the intent of never doing anything to it
except to just drive the hell out of it until it dropped.  But it wasn't long

when I realized that it had nickel and dimmed me to the point where I had to
do something serious with it or dump it. Not really wanting a midget I found
a bugeye shell and thus the berth of the bugga.  My other car at the time was

a 67 Healey 3000 which I drove for 13 years as my primary transportation.
Boy, I sure miss that car today.
The Healey was replaced with an 80 RX7 which I drove for 265,000 miles before

totaling it in my own yard (but that's another story).  It was replaced with
another RX7, a 85 gsl se.  Great cars, I really love 'em.  To me the RX7 is
what the Healey would have been if it had continued.  Yeah, I know, I'll get
some flak on that especially from Nissan Z people.  Oh well, if I had gotten
a Z I'd probably feel the same about it.
Also, along the way I've owned a couple of other Healey's, 100's and another
3000.
The Bugga has just about everything you can do to the car -- well, maybe not
everything.  1275, 5-speed, fiber glass bonnet, brooklins, webber and a bunch

of other stuff.  Considering all the agony it has caused me I still love the
damn thing.  Rita won't go near it due to unfortunate situations on the
road,  but she is unbelievably attached to it and raises a fuss whenever I
get the notion to sell it.  So, I've still got it and probably always will.
It's a curse of some kind, I think.

WFO Herb wrote:

> I bet you had one heck of a lot of fun with your name.  Truthfully, I was
> going to make some kind of smart a##ed question/comment.... But I was good
> (for a change).    So what cars do you have?
>
> Roy Rogers wrote:
>
> > I remember Roy Rogers quite well since that happens to be my name.
> > Also, it so happens that I am a junior.  Years ago when Roy Rogers
> > pictures were regularly shown across the movie screens we would get
> > constant phone calls from kids whose favorite pass time was flipping
> > thru the telephone directory.  Once the word got around that Roy Rogers
> > was living in Atlanta the calls kept streaming in.  It drove my
> > parents nuts.  I was in high school at the time and enjoyed kidding the
> > callers along when they would call.  Even pretended to play the guitar
> > and
> > sing.  Hey, they really thought it was him.  -- well, at least some of
> > them.  Anyway before long my parents had little choice but to change
> > the phone number and list the name simply as R Rogers.
> > I still get comments from the old folds when going through the checkout
> > lanes in the stores.  I can generally tell the age of the individual
> > based
> > on how they respond to the name.  One check-out clerk resonantly
> > expressed
> > her condolences to me concerning Dal Evans recent passing even thou she
> > knew I wasn't the cowboy RR.  Amazing!
> > Believe it or not some of the young people think that Roy Rogers is just
> >
> > another hamburger restaurant owner.
> > Anyway, thanks for the memories.
> > Roy Rogers (the real one)

///