Re: breaks out

To: SAUTHOFF PATRICIA JEAN <Patricia.Sauthoff@Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Re: breaks out
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:18:51 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
SAUTHOFF PATRICIA JEAN wrote:

> On my way to school a few minutes ago my brakes went out.  Fortunately the
> handbrake still works.  I've got to drive home in a few hours,

Patricia

Check the brake fluid, if it's gone, fill it up with what ever you can
get locally. (Castrol Being the best choice but anything is better then
no fluid)

Look for a major leak at one of the rubber hoses that connect to the
front wheels or above the diff in the back of the car. You may have
blown a hose.
Also check for wet (oily) signs on the insides of each wheel, you may
have a leaky wheel clyinder.

If you have a metalic grinding noise, you are OK to drive home, it's new
brake shoe time, just don't drive around grinding for days or you will
be needing new brake drums too.

Good luck, be safe.

If you blew a line, get a cheap clamp or vise grips and pinch it off so
you can make it home.
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ