RE: A few questions from a newbie

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A few questions from a newbie
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:16:49 -0800
List Members,

I have just acquired a road-racing 1960 Sprite. I have a few questions:

1. The car came with a 4.55 "locked" differential- both wheels always turn.
Would not that be very hard on the gears and the half shaft? I heard of
"locked diffs" for dirt racing, not road racing- that being said, I have
only a few months or racing experience! by the way, I do plan to revert to a
4.22 "normal" rear diff, at least until I get used to the car. What is the
best source of new or reconditioned limited slip diffs for Sprites in the
USA?

2. The engine bolts have a special head- I have three spare boxes of them-
they are made by a company called "ARP". No address or telephone number on
the boxes... What is the advantage of these bolts?...Stronger than original
manufacturer bolts? I guess I'll have to get a special tool to remove them
too. Does the company have a Web site? I searched briefly for ARP on the Web
last night but did not find anything relevant.

4. The car is presently fitted with 13x5.5 Revolution wheels (I also have
the original steel wheels). I am a bit uneasy about the Revolution wheels as
I was told I should fit spacers to the rear wheels (not enough clearance)-
any piece of advice from anyone who used spacers in racing?

Jacques Le Clainche, ex-1970 Sprite and ex-1972 Midget owner, trying to go
racing in his 1960 Frog-eyed/bug-eyed Sprite!

///