Re: Request For Opinion

To: "O'CONNORS, CHARLIE" <coconnor@ersnet.com>
Subject: Re: Request For Opinion
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:23:23 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
"O'CONNORS, CHARLIE" wrote:

> I'm getting ready to put my '59 Bugeye in the body shop.  I thought I > was
>fortunate in that it came with 3 bonnets (2 metal, 1 fiberglass).  > My
>problem is this.  The metal bonnets are both pretty beat up and have > some
>rust.

Charlie

Steel bonnets are much better than FG. FG  does have it's place on a
race car though.
Depending on your driving style, a FG bonnet will alter the weight ratio
front and rear. FG will get stress cracks especially with constant
opening and closing of the bonnet.

Steel will also stress especially at the apex of the wheel openings.

Here is a cure for that before you do the body work to it.
Pick up some 1/4" rebar at a masonary or builders supply.
Weld this around the inside of the wheel lip of the bonnet.
Be sure the bonnet fits the car first, have an assistant pull forward on
the bonnet to keep the sides in line with the rocker lines.
Tack weld this bar as you go making sure all is lined up.
This pulls the sides of the bonnet in close, strenghenes the wheel
openings and can not be seen by anyone other than maybe the concours
judge.

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ