Re: Sticking jet and wet carb underside

To: "Louis Mehr (EML)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: Sticking jet and wet carb underside
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 20:21:16 -0500
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
"Louis Mehr (EML)" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have just attempted to start my Sprite but with no success.  (I have never
>had the car running.)
>
> I have two questions:
>
> (i) The jet lower mechanism on one of the carbs seems to be stuck - the jet
>will not lower even when I try to move it by hand. Any ideas why this should
>be so ?

If the car has been sitting for a long time (months or years) the choke
cable or mechanism may just need a shot of oil.
The cable may be way out of adjustment too.

> (ii) The underside of the carbs seems to be wet - there's petrol there even
>though it's three days since I last attempted to start the vehicle. I would
>have expected any petrol to have evaporated by now.

This may have gummed up your jet if it has been leaking for months or
years. The fuel in the float is gravity fed to the jet via the plastic
tube. If this tube leaks, the old fuel may have gummed it up causing it
to stick.
Also check the carb piston, it may be stuck up allowing the fuel to leak
out of the jet.
If it is still wet after 3 days, the float did not empty so it must be a
small leak.
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ