Re: Drilling Axles for larger studs

To: "John Holliday" <fprodget@yahoo.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Drilling Axles for larger studs
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:21:36 -0800
John,

I used a special drill bit from the local hardware store, it was a hardened
steel alloy the name of which escaped me (carbon steel, boron steel,
something like that).  I was able to swing the drill press table to the side
such that the bit would hit the table about 1" from the edge, such that half
of the axle 'hat' would sit flat on the table with the axle pointing down,
and the hole to be enlarged was still over the edge of the drill table.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye(with 7/16" studs)
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)
> List,
>
> I am installing 7/16 inch wheel studs. I have easily
> drilled out the rear hubs and drums on my drill press,
> but the axles are a different story. They are
> incredibly hard. I have tried drilling with a hand
> drill but the bit won't begin to touch them. I cannot
> set my drill press to drill with due to the length of
> the axle. I tried turning the head of the press out
> over to the side, but cannot secure the axle to drill
> hole straight (even if the bit would cut the axle).
> Does anyone have any experience or ideas short of
> going to a machine shop.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Holliday
> 67 sprite trying to get to Carlisle