Well crap!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetspriteclub@listbot.com
Subject: Well crap!
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:50:30 EST
CRAP!   The vilest words I dare use on the Spridget exchange!   But worse was
being thrown around yesterday after I closed the bonnet of my Midget, that
after a long, long layup of having the engine out, replacing all gaskets and
seals, timing chain, header, clutch, u-joints, brake master, brake fluid,
etc, etc.  So I was on the way to the muffler shop (running straight pipes, I
might add) to get the new header connected to the existing and hanging
tailpipe and muffler.  Engine loudly purring right along, loud as
hell--passed a State Trooper sitting on a level area of Interstate and eased
off the pedal--coasted by him making very little roar which did not awaken
him.  Then the smoke--SMOKE filling the cockpit, noticed when I gave it pedal
there was no smoke, but when I let up on the pedal I left a heavy whitish
blue smoke screen on the highway.  Engine changed sounds--to a fluttering
sound in the exhaust--engine temp was normal.  Got to the muffler shop--had a
difficult time starting it to get it in on the rack--guy did a slap-assed
(crappy?) job of installing the muffler, but I caught him at closing time and
I was concerned about the engine.  Hard to start to get off the rack.  On the
way home (if I can only get home)  smoke increased, emitting both on
acceleration and deceleration--filling the cockpit.  Raised the bonnet
several times to determine where the hell it was coming from, but could not
find anything.

Approaching a small village just before home, it lost all power--like running
on one or two cylinders, with smoke increasing, windows open looking for
oxygen, I coasted over to a church parking lot with a small store across the
road.  Called my mechanic.  He suggested HEAD GASKET!!!   I just installed a
brand new head gasket--one of those fiber head gaskets that comes in the
upper engine gasket set from VB.

So this morning off to call AAA to have the car taken back to Knoxville where
I was working on it--pull the head to see if the HG is the problem. Will keep
you posted.

--David C.

///