lights

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: lights
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:22:12 +0100
Hi All,

I have a '71 austin sprite (now sitting on new suspension but that's another
story), that has no main beam headlights.

They were all working OK after I changed the combined indicator/dip/horn
switch for one from a breakers yard. I have been changing the front
suspension over since then and its quite possible I could have disturbed the
wiring to the front head lamps as well.

What happens now is that whenever I flick the lights on via the
sidelight/dip switch mounted through the dash, I get the lower sidelights
but no main lights, yet the blue main beam indicator is on at the bottom of
the speedo gauge.

To try to eliminate the indicator/dip/horn switch I have unplugged it
completely under the dash and I still get the same result (no main
headlights at all yet the main beam lamp is on)

Does anyone know how this works? How is the thing earthed? With the
direction indicator switch completely disconnected, I was expecting all the
normal lights to work with no main beam. Does the direction switch short
anything down for the dip/main beam?

Cheers

John

///