Re: Sir Joseph Whitworth

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, CNAArndt@aol.com, healeys@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net, Rmoment@aol.com, robertlarson@worldnet.att.net, rader@interworld.net
Subject: Re: Sir Joseph Whitworth
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 13:15:47 -0700
>From what I remember about the development of threads on bolts, what Whitworth
used was and still is superior to the others in common usage in the world.  He
had radiused peaks and valleys in his design that greatly enhanced the strength
of the bolt over similar sized bolts that had sharp peaks and valleys and a
different thread angle.  Some might really be academic today, but he certainly
was a genius innovator/inventor in his designs.  In many respects, it's too bad
that they never became the worlds defacto standard. At his time of development,
England had an enormous impact on the industrial world.  But those in the
colonies thought they could come up with a better wheel.  Now we have at least
three major bolt standards.  This doesn't include all the cycle bolts, numbered,
and lettered bolts.

Paul A

Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Sir Joseph Whitworth was an amazing engineer who did more than just invent
> threads.  In fact I picked up a copy of his biography today from the local
> lending library and am looking forward to getting stuck into it.
>
> Daniel1312
>
> In a message dated 02/04/01 21:15:10 Pacific Daylight Time, CNAArndt@aol.com
> writes:
>
> << Hi All
>
>  I was talking with Roger Moment this evening discussing the thread (no pun
>  intended) on Whitworth Tread Forms and I thought that I would try and
> clarify
>  things a bit.  >>

///