Re: datsun 5 speeds.

To: "Toby Atwater" <tob.sprite.landcruiser@home.com>
Subject: Re: datsun 5 speeds.
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 06:32:41 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Toby,  I sell the 210 trannys for $175, I get them for between $50 and $85
at Pick-n-pulls, here in Reno and in northern Calif.  Almost all go back
east.  MM sells them for $350 and gets them at the same yards.  Also some
yards want to charge you extra for the shifter TO carrier, and clutch fork
if they even have them.
        Crash

>I have searched for locally (telephone wise) for a datsun 210 5 speed
>without much luck. I called around 60+ wrecking yards in southern CA. I
>found two fairly locally trannys one for $340 (gasp) and the other for
$250.
>I would probably go for the $250 one, but the junk yard guy is so
suspicious
>that I don't feel good about the deal. He wants a $100 deposit in cash
>before he will even get the car off of the stack for me to take it out, and
>if it turns out its not the correct tranny, or it is no good, or I don't
>want it for any reason, he keeps my deposit. Then he added he wanted a $30
>core charge. (what??!!) My local yard can get one through it's network, but
>for $400.
>

>My buddy's theory is that all the yards that have been inventoried and "on
>the network" sell all they have to each other nationwide. So the key here
>seems to be the pick and pulls where they really don't know what they have.
>The nearest one to me is about a good 2 hours away. The datsun freak,
swares
>there are fields of 210s baking in the sun out there in AZ. He has stumbled
>on them numerous times.
>
>So to make it short, I am going to go make a tranny run this weekend to AZ
>and pick up one for myself. Would anybody else be interested?
>
>Toby

///