Re: Drilling Axles for larger 7/16 inch studs

To: Bob Spruck <bspruck@mindspring.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Drilling Axles for larger 7/16 inch studs
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 04:16:26 -0700 (PDT)
Bob and rest of list,

Here's how it was done: My drill press is one of the
Far East specials similar to Harborfreight ITEM
30697-0VGA. I slid drill press over to edge of work
bench. I loosened both the head unit and the work
table of the press and rotated them to the side as
well. I then C-clamped the axle to the work table with
the shaft hanging down beside the work bench. I then
aligned everything and drilled the holes. I drilled
out the hole a 64th of an inch at a time up to final
size of 29/64ths. I only used light pressure to cut
through the axle. The drill bits were only high speed
steel, nothing exotic. I used motor oil as cutting oil
to lubricate the bit. Cutting oil is much better, but
I did not have any. This process was tedious but
worked.

Best regards,

John Holliday
67 Fproduction street sprite