Re: bearings

To: John Neal <johnneal@nortelnetworks.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: bearings
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 09:18:47 -0700
Hi John,

My fave way of removing these stuck inner races is to cut part way
through them
with something like a muffler cutter tool and abrasive disc.  Part way
is fine.
Then with a cold chisel in this new groove, whack the chisel with a
hammer.
Nearly always it will split, loosening it on the stub axle.  If it
doesn't split,
then deepen the groove and try again with the chisel.

Paul A

John Neal wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> My ongoing battle with my 1971 Austin Sprite continued this weekend as
> tried to refit my hubs to my newly installed suspension. I got the old
hub
> off of the old stub axle without any trouble at all, and got myself a
wheel
> bearing kit to replace all that while I have it all to bits.
>
> I took out the oil seal, and what was left of the old bearing fell out
at my
> feet in a blackened mess. I cleaned out the hub, and I've got the
outer
> piece of both bearings apparently welded themselves to the inside of
the
> hub. Does anybody know how the hell to get them out? I see there is a
lip to
> knock them out, I hit it but it won't budge. As for the other outer
piece, I
> can barely see that from the top of the spline let alone get something
in
> there to clear it out. Any ideas anybody?
>
> Regards
>
> John
> 1971 Austin Sprite (needs to be back on the road - the sun is out)

///