Re: Battery??

To: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Battery??
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:53:48 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Connected right to the battery posts. After charging for a while the car
starts and the alt is outputting about 13+ volts. (not quite 14). If I pull
the charger, the car starts. After it sits for a bit it won't and the
voltmeter, again connected to the battery, drops to 6 volts.

I'm off to Sears to get a DieHard.

Larry

BTW sealed battery, no way to fill.

On 4/21/01 12:40 PM, "Charley & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com> wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> Depends on where you're putting the voltmeter probes.  If you're
> connecting right to the battery posts, the battery is at fault -- low
> charge, bad cell, etc.  If you're connecting to the cable ends, the
> problem could be dirty connections between the posts and cables.  Are
> the cells topped up and the connections clean?
>
> Cheers,
>
> CR
>
> "Larry B. Macy" wrote:
>>
>> Am I wrong?? If you have 12+ volts on the battery at rest and you try to
>> turn the engine over and the volts drop to 6, doesn't that mean you have a
>> dead cell in the battery??
>>
>> I am charging it now to get it started to make sure the alt is working. But
>> that is the early results.
>>
>> Larry

Larry Macy
78 Midget