RE: racing fuel and first time out on the track

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: racing fuel and first time out on the track
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:13:43 -0700
Racers on the list,

I have just returned from my "local" track (about 120 miles away!), where I
tested my 1960 Sprite... Did about 40 laps. Well, driving a car with a
locked diff is a new experience for me. The car was pushing a little in the
corners, but easy to handle and tire grip felt good-  tremendous fun to
drive... much more fun than the other car I race, even though I was slower
with the Sprite.

I did not notice much difference between the Turbo Blue and the VP C12
fuels- if anything, the engine seemed to give a slightly better response
with the Turbo Blue, especially at the top end.

I started running the tire pressure at 32 hot, then dropped to 28. That felt
better... but is that the best pressure? The tires are BF Goodrich Comp/TA
185/60 ZR 13 R1s.

The gas pedal (a modified brake pedal) is too high and has been twisted to
get it closer to the brake pedal. As it is, I find it impossible to heel and
toe- that's why I was slower than in my other car! Another reason were the
brakes... This was my only real disappointment with the car- the brakes just
didn't seem to work well enough. They did not seem to fade much, but they
just did not stop the car very quickly! If VARA rules allow it, what about
discs on the back?.. also, a change of front brake pads may help- any
suggestions for front pads/rear brake shoes suitable for road racing?..
Anybody using Hawk Blues?

Jacques Le Clainche, still grinning from his trip to the track!

///