Re: Price on 1275 engine and Sprite Transmission

To: "O'CONNORS, CHARLIE" <coconnor@ersnet.com>
Subject: Re: Price on 1275 engine and Sprite Transmission
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:00:00 -0700
Cc: "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Charlie,
I'm not the most knowledgeable lister to answer this question, so you will want
to consider my comments along with others, but here goes.

IMHO, a tranny out of a car is of questionable value. Could be VG to worthless.
You would have to open it up to really determine the condition of the gears and
synchros. If you buy a box that needs parts and a rebuild, it's going to cost
you
some bucks. Some members of this list will tell you that you are better off with
a 5-speed, but in the words of Roseanne Rosanna Dana, "you didn't hear that from
me".

As to the engine, a non-pollution engine is worth more since the head is more
valuable than a pollution head. You really have to open up the engine to take a
gander at what is inside to have an idea of what you're getting. Even then you
could be buying a unit with a cracked head which you won't know until you get it
magnafluxed or whatever.

If the seller tells you it is a rebuilt engine, I will relate a comment from a
Healey mechanic from many years ago. "When someone tells me the engine's been
rebuilt, I usually plan on the engine needing a rebuild." That comment could be
debated from now until Christmas, but unless you have receipts for the parts
replaced and the machine work performed and have knowledge of the reputation of
the person who did the rebuild, the "engine's been rebuilt" comment doesn't mean
very much.

If the seller is only asking $250.00, you don't have to be as discriminating.

OTOH, this might be boat anchor to this seller, so feel him/her out.

I personally think one of the best sources for a motor and tranny are in a
running car. Sometimes you can scarf one up for the same money as you might pay
for the engine and tranny alone and the plus is that you can hear it run and
test
the tranny.

A good offer is always a low one. $3,000. is pretty damn high. (Nuts in my
opinion.) For that much money you can build the engine of your dreams within
reason.

In '93 I paid $200.00 for a low mileage 1275 shortblock and another $125.00 for
non-pollution head because I didn't want to look at blanking plugs in a
pollution
head.

I would offer him a $100.00 and gauge his reaction and go no higher than $300 or
$400 hundred unless you know the exact condition of the transmission. I guess I
would pay $400.00 for a verifiable VG tranny.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

jay fishbein
HAN-6
Innocenti 950
Innocenti S

"O'CONNORS, CHARLIE" wrote:

> Someone local has a 1275 engine, and a transmission from an early model
> sprite.  Told me to make him an offer.  Question is, what's a good offer?
> Found a few out on the internet for sale.  Prices for a 1275 engine range
> from $250 to $3,000.

///