Re: Timing chains and harmonic balancers

To: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: Timing chains and harmonic balancers
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:20:06 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Gerard Chateauvieux wrote:

> How much slack is too much on the 1275 timing chain?

Very little. It should be tight.
Replace it with a NON Asian made chain, new gears wouldn't hurt either.

> Also, how can you tell if a harmonic balancer is still good to use on a 1275?

If the rubber damper between the inner and outer castings is brittle,
cracked or chipped, think about a new one.
However...I have, and still am using very craked and brittle balancers
with no problems.
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ