feelin' blue

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: feelin' blue
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 07:54:46 -0400
Hey lads and lasses!

Miss Marple has taken up smoking.  It starts when she is partly warmed up
and goes away when she's hot.  When she's very hot, I get another different
problem.

Previous to this, all of my drives have not resulted in her reaching the
temperatures that she gets to now.  ( Spring in Canada, don't cha know? )  I
have a C-N-H temperature gauge and when the needle moves about a quarter
inch, she lays down smog on upshifts ( and piddles, . . . at least the time
that I pulled over to see what was going on. )  This smog goes away after
she completely wams up.  The initial smog is accompanied by a timing chain
rattling kind-of sound.  It goes away too.

The exterior engine is now mostly dry ( there may be a small leak somewhere
around the oil-to-gauge connection and the dipstick tube is loose. )

I was lead to believe by a stranger who chastized me for laying a smoke
screen ( he had been driving behind me ) that the smoke wasn't coming from
the exhaust.  He did not say this directly, he said that I had best be
looking into replacing some gaskets.

There is no heat shield between the carbs and the header.  I have topped up
the SUs twice in under a hundred miles, but there is no sign of a leak.  I
have found something smoking off the header once, but that was just after
startup and after I oiled the carb linkage.

I also found that the clamps below the PCV were quite loose, but that is no
longer the case.

The inner tailpipe is a moist dark black.

There has been no compression test done by me or for me.  Is this where I'm
going?  I don't own a tester.  Hopefully they come with instructions.

Robert Duquette
Ottawa ON Canada
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette
RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca
'65 RHD BRG AH Sprite
'67 RHD red MG Midget < aka: Miss Marple >
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette/marple/ulthm.htm

///