Stupid Mechanic Tricks!

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stupid Mechanic Tricks!
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 09:15:47 -0400
Just tuned the '72 with the new ignition setup.
All was running well.
Then, I tuned the carbs.  Stupid move!

Whole new symptoms:
Starts and idles nicely. Runs up well in the garage.
But, on the road, breaks down badly at about 3000 accelerating
under a load. Then throttle sticks open when decellerating; engine
overrevs.

The cause:
While resetting the carbs, when I had loosened the
throttle shaft set screws such that the "tongues" on the linkage
had moved toward the center of the shaft. Under load, the
"tongue" for the front carb was moving out of it's fork.

The fix:
Loosen the throttle set screms and "pry" the bits of
linkage back outboard so the tungues better engage the
forks in the linkage.

AAArrrggghhh! Took me an hour to solve this one.
Maybe I need to go back to chevies and start over.

chuckc

///