Re: dipstick tube / overfilling

To: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: dipstick tube / overfilling
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 21:07:41 -0400
Cc: "'Spridget List'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Robert Duquette wrote:

> My dipstick tube is extremely loose .  It does not have a washer on the
>dipstick,
> but I don't think that it should.
>
> How does one fix the dipstick holder?  Replace it?  Should it have an o-ring
> on it?  Did the early 12CC 1275s have a rubber or felt on the dipstick?

1275s do have a rubber gasket on the dipstick.
Just a flat rubber which you can pick up at the hardware store.
The dipstick tube has ribs on it and is a "snug push fit" into the
block.
If it was removed once, it will no longer fit "snug"
Use a few drops Loctite on the ribs and reinstall the tube, this works.
If the tube is broken near the bottom, find a new one. The tube keeps
the stick clear of the crankshaft.
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ