tires and autocross

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: tires and autocross
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:33:12 -0500
Perhaps one of you autocrossers can help me:

I'm thinking of doing some autocross this summer and am wondering if
my 175-70-13 DOT-approved Hoosiers take me out of the stock class under
the typical classing schemes used (SCCA?)

If so, what size of tire will keep me with the "regular folks" and away from
the
"prepared" guys running secret weapons?  I would just like to become better
at driving smoothly and controlling the car.

What sort of "stock" tire would you folks recommend to a complete novice?
I am not rwady to get into autocross rubber on an extra set of alloys!

Finally, what kinds of cars would I be competing against with a '68 1275?

Thanks in advance.
--John