Re: '79 Midget backfire

To: Wetmgs@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '79 Midget backfire
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:26:30 -0700
Very common for exhaust leaks to cause this kind of backfire in a 1500
Midget.  Look for casting problems in the exhaust manifold, I've seen pin
holes in them.  Extreme heat that the stock catalytic converter put out back
when it was functioning can warp and crack the manifold as well.  There is
an antibackfire valve in line from the smog pump.  Also, the threads get
stripped pretty easily where the air pump pipe bolts to the exhaust
manifold.  It only takes a small leak, one that might not even change the
exhaust sound.   Air sucked in during rapid deceleration allows unburned
fuel in the exhaust to explode, causing the backfire you hear.  You also
need to get a ZS carb tuning tool to lean out the carb beyond what the screw
on the side can do.
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon