Re: Analysis of compression check data

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Analysis of compression check data
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:55:44 -0400
Dave -

Generally good numbers.  In fact, they're pretty darned high.  You
running high comp pistons?

If I were to take a very critical eye and figure that there are problems
with *any* engine:

#1 shows about the difference I would expect to see in a healthy
cylinder between "Dry" and "Wet" readings (i.e. not much).  #2, #3 & #4
look like candidates for a ring problem (based on the huge jump between
"Dry" and "Wet").

#1 and #3 (esp. #3) look to perhaps have a valve problem (based on their
significantly lower "Wet" readings than #2 and #4).  Did you check the
valve lash before running the compression test?  If #1 and #3 had their
intake valves "loose" (too much lash), it could explain some of the
(relatively) lower readings there.

My $0.02

Chris K.