Re: Holly carb

To: Greg Higgins <higgs@cgocable.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Holly carb
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:04:06 -0700
Greg,
     Just got it running!  I bought a rebuild kit for the carb (Holley
part No. 3-92) and took the carb apart myself.  What was suspected
between an experienced mechanic and the Holley Carb Tech Help Line was a
dried out accelerator pump diaphragm that was letting fuel by.  When i
took the float bowl off and started to take things apart, I found loose
screws, one stripped hole and a half a lock washer on one of the screws
that hold the housing that retains the accelerator pump diaphragm.  Fuel
was getting by the seal the the diaphragm is bonded to because the
housing was not tightened down!  I did not need to spend the money for
the rebuild kit although I used the new needle and seat, diaphragms and
washers and gaskets from it.  I had to replace one of the screws on the
housing with a slightly longer one.  It is now tight and fuel flows like
it should.  Now the problem is the accelerator pedal is VERY light.
Easy to rev it to 5-6000 with just a touch.  Having trouble still with
the throttle not returning to idle due to binding somewhere, but not as
bad as it was before I replaced the throttle cable with the one from
APT.  It has a nylon inner sleeve and is made for Minis with Webers.
Works great, but the binding is somewhere else.  The solution may be to
add a heavy spring somehow to the "hinge" over my feet in the foot
well.  Managed to take it around the block though!  Seems to be quite a
lot better response and a little stronger.  Will have to play with the
idle mixture.  WooHoo.  Now to find a BIG spring.
Mike MacLean Supercharged 60 Sprite
P.S.Electric fan I installed makes all the difference.  Over 100 degrees
here today and car did not go over 190F in the half hour of testing.