Re: NEW ENGINE OIL PRESSURE

To: David Brackman <begowest@telus.net>
Subject: Re: NEW ENGINE OIL PRESSURE
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:01:11 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
David,

It should only take a few seconds to see pressure at the gauge. Fear
not, there are a couple of things to check.

First, crawl under the dash and _slightly_ loosen the swage nut that
holds the oil feed line onto the back of the pressure gauge. Now bump
the engine a few times with the starter (just reach over and turn the
key while you're under the dash watching the back of the pressure
gauge). If you're lucky, there was air in the line. You've just
expelled it, along with a little oil that is probably running down
your nose about now. Tighten the nut back up and turn the key again
while watching the front of the gauge. You should get some pressure.

Yes, it's cramped under there...

If this doesn't work, you may have a broken feed line or a broken
gauge. I would expect that you would see an oil leak if the former.
I'm not sure how to test for the latter.

I doubt that your engine actually has no oil pressure, but it could
be that the rebuilder forgot to install the oil pump or something
crazy like that. Probably not.

Jeff

At 8:52 AM -0700 6/22/01, David Brackman wrote:
>Last night I was preparing to start my new, pro built 1275 for the first
>time, and I thought I would pull the plugs and spin it up on the starter
>motor to get a bit of oil pressure into it.
>After about 15-20 seconds on the starter, still no oil pressure on the
>gauge. My questions:  How long should it take before pressure appears?
>Should the pump be primed? How do I do it?   1275, new oil pump, new
>dual gauge, new lines, and yes, there is oil in the engine! Any comments
>or solutions appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>David

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu