mech fuel pump on a 12V?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: mech fuel pump on a 12V?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 16:12:03 +0300
Has anyone ever tried replacing the electric fuel pump with a mechanical
one that bolts on the crankase on a "later" 12V engine? I'd like to hear
your experiences with that.

Now I have a Marina engine and the car it came from had a mechanical
pump. There's a blanking plate there now.

Issues on the mech pump:

a. Will it pump enough fuel for the twin HS2's at a 4700-5000 RPM limit?

b. If it works it will mean less maintenance headaches and a safer car
too. The SU AUF800/AZX1818 series twin-turret mechanical fuel pump is
unburstable, witness my 1978 Mini that has never had it replaced.

Cheers
Evangelos