Midget/Spitfire 1500 front engine leaking

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget/Spitfire 1500 front engine leaking
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 04:27:13 -0400
  I am trying to hunt down an oil leak on my
Midget 1500 (same engine as Spitfire).

  It seems to be either the very bottom of the
timing chain cover, or the very front of
the sump.

  I have removed the sump, and cleaned it up
to prepare for a new sealing. However, I am
thinking I should do both while I have
the chance.

  The front of the engine block has an aluminum
block that sites under the front main bearing
and forms part of the sump surface. The very bottom
bolt on the timing chain cover bolts here.

  Would I be able to safely remove this block
with the engine still in the car, and reseal
it on the front?

  It looks like I could remove it, but I'd hate
to get it out and realize that I need the timing
chain cover off to properly put it back on!

  Thanks for any help.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca