Re: Pivot pins on Midget/Spitfire 1500 trannies... in situ?

To: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Subject: Re: Pivot pins on Midget/Spitfire 1500 trannies... in situ?
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 19:51:33 -0400
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Tom O'Malley wrote:
> Is it that foil interference sleeve you're trying to change?
> The thing that holds the steel pivot pin in place at the clutch
> release arm?  Sadly, I see no way to do it without pulling the tranny.

  I may have to play DPO on this one and try to do
it anyways.

  This is a Midget 1500, so pulling the tranny is not
an option, I have to pull the engine and tranny, and pulling
the engine is as everybody knows a major dismantling
job best avoided if possible.

> Hmmm...not sure what would work.  The original design calls for two
> bronze bushings pressed into counterbored holes in the iron
> bellhousing, top and bottom.  The steel pivot pin is intended to
> rotate in those bushings and *not* in the aluminum release arm.
> Ideally the foil interference sleeve serves to do this and of course,
> prevents the pin from dropping out onto the road. :-(

  In my case here, the tranny's DPO replaced the pin with a bolt, although
the sleeve was still used. I am not against this idea, because
my car's original tranny had used the pin and the pin fell out
completely. (not that it didn't stop me from driving another
few thousand miles)

  I have a lot of spare parts, so I have a usable pin and two
used but usable sleeves. I just can't seem to get them in
from the outside, although some people suggest it's possible.

  I have a spare throwout arm and a spare bellhousing, so I
am willing to take the risk of ruining what's in the car
on the chance I can make it work without pulling the engine. If
I screw it up worse, it's not much more work to swap for my
spares when it's all out on the bench.

> If the clutch and tranny were working fine otherwise,  I would
> personally try *anything* before pulling them to fix this problem. :-)

  It works and is driveable, but it's irritating because
when you put the clutch in, there is usually a really
strong vibration in the pedal. I beleive this happens when
the throwout bearing hits the clutch off-centre and then
jiggles up and down with the clutch spin. Sometimes
if you hold the clutch down it straightens out and
centers itself... but...

  Basically the car is driveable but every time I shift
gears I am reminded of it, and it kind of sucks the fun
out of driving the car.

  Thanks for the words.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.