Re: floor pans

To: cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: floor pans
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:17:44 EDT
In a message dated 7/10/2001 8:31:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu writes:

> 1. Most of the floor cutting looks straightforward. But under the
> crossmember boxes - anything inside there I should beware of? How far does
> the jacking tube go inside the crossmember?
>
> 2. Any other gotchas I ought to be aware of?

Chris:

The crossmember is just a square tube.  And the jacking point just extends
about 8" or so into the crossmember.  The floor is really not difficult to
install, especially in that frame you have built, as you can easily turn the
vehicle upside down to do the whole job.  I don't know the level of your
welding skill--I was (and remain) a novice welder, and I found that unless
the reverse of the whole spotweld was discolored by the weld, signalling that
it did not weld all the way through, the spotweld was not a strong one.
Also, I found that the punched holes for spotwelding had to be large enough
to weld through without filling up with weld material.   But after a few
welds, it became easier, and I cruised, for the most part.

Now, If I only don't fall out of the tub when I get it all back together and
on the road, I will be able to say it was a success.  <G>

--David C.