Restoration Help Needed

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Restoration Help Needed
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:47:40 -0400 FILETIME=[32D56FB0:01C10A29]
Dear List,

{Lurk mode off}

I have been on the list for about a year now, and have been mostly silent
since I am certainly no expert, but have learned A LOT.
I have been working on getting  my late father's former SCCA Bugeye
restored. Unfortunately, the family friend who was going to do most of the
work is unable to do so, due to declining health.
My dad started to restore it it a few years ago, but it wasn't to be.The car
is in generally good condition, with the exception of some rust in the
rockers and rear quarters. The front inner fenders have been cut back a bit,
I believe for tire clearance. I have been told that there appears to be some
rust in the spring boxes. I have a Bugeye parts car also, (the body of which
is kinda racked so not a great candidate for restoration itself)that I am
going to use to get most of the parts to make it streetlegal.
The cars are located in upstate NY (near Rochester), and I am on Long
Island, NY, without a place to store them both. I am going up there in the
next couple o days to look closely at them, and make a detailed list of
what's going to be required to bring it back to life. Gonna take some
Pictures, and hopefully find some place online to post them.
I think my biggest need is going to be a recommendation of a good body shop,
familiar with these rascals, between Long Island and Rochester, or within
reasonable hauling distance to NYC.
Should I have the body and paint work done first, or the Mechanical?
I'm not looking to get this done for free, but just by somebody who knows
and cares about them, but isn't going to cost me one of my kids to do it.
You guys REALLY wanna do another project?? Ya don't have to travel far, I'll
haul them someplace, bring the food, beer, and just about anything else ya
want.
Any advice REALLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian Seavey