Re: Still Overheating--Compression results

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: Still Overheating--Compression results
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:24:16 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
David -

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and if someone else has a better idea,
please sing out.

Unless you did the compression test wrong, we found the problem.  Your
compression readings should be MUCH higher than you show.  (For example, on my
1500, all 4 of the dry test readings are around 125, unless the starter is
having
trouble.)  The fact that the wet test brought the reading up so much indicates
that it's probably not a head gasket.

When you get back, check the valve lash and re-run the compression test.  If the
valve lash is off, the compression test readings will be all over the board.  If
you get similar results, I suspect that a ring job and perhaps valve job is in
the cards.

Chris K.