home today..from the hillclimb

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: home today..from the hillclimb
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 10:21:53 -0000
i had a blast yesterday running the hillclimb.   but a nagging knee tempered
my return today.  having traveled alone the task of getting thecar on
thetrailer and tied down when tired reminded me that i was not up for a
second day at giant's despair.  it was great weather there were over 60
entrants and the cars were anything from early 70's camaros and a ford (73)
torino....to formula fords ...to radical home built high powered
specials(some noteables.. 65 renault R8, mga,mgb,sunbeam tiger,a few vintage
very serious vw bugs, tvr,63 jaguar saloon,mid 60's sprite,bmw2002and my
59/60 saab 93f in the vintage and historic class.)   the course was repaved
not too long ago and it was fast!  coming out of the turn known as devil's
elbow a very tight climbing right hander i had my vintage saab up on 2
wheels!  the course is very fast!  but the incline at the top of the hill
increases to such a degree that most of the entrants were discussing loosing
power at that point and wich gear to choose to conquer the last section of
the hill.   when going up the hill at speed you really have no concept of
the degree of incline you are conquering.  after the run group has completed
their runs up thehill that group returns down the hill before the next group
goes up the hill .   you really get a sense of the incline when you are
coming back down the hill!  you feellike if you let go ofthesteering wheel
you would fall forward into the steering wheel.  being the 95th anniversary
ofthe event, i was proud tobe there to help celebrate it's history.

chuck
the event needs more spridgets!