Extractor/Crank Bolt Removal

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Extractor/Crank Bolt Removal
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:52:16 -0400
Hey Y'all,

Two questions here:

1) I have what looks like a heavy oil leak right where the
oil extractor comes thru the timing cover -- to the outside,
drivers side (US!). Is there an easy (hah!) fix? Do I need a
new timing cover? How do I stop leakage around the extractor's
mount into the timing cover?

B) How do I remove the crank bolt while the engine is in situ?
I've tried the captive spanner while using the starter. No luck.
Nothing moves (YES I undid the tab). I've tried the long
breaker bar:; the whole car moves -- which is a real problem when
you are using a curb jack to lift the engine enuff to get a socket on
the crank bolt. Must I drop the oil pan and jam in a 2x4 in the
crank case??

Help is definitely appreciated here.

chuckC