Re: throw out bearing?

To: pythias@pacifier.com
Subject: Re: throw out bearing?
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:49:47 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 06:05:49 -0700 Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com> writes:
>              (who has all the mechanical ability, and tools!) had a
>              look at the throwout bearing...
>
>              "hey, that doesn't turn!"..
>
>              IS IT SUPPOSED TO?..

No.

>              it appears to be a fixed carbon disk, not a bearing at
>              at all.. is it so worn as to be shot, or is this the
> way
>              that they are supposed to be?  the car seemed to work
>              just fine.

That's the way it is supposed to be.  There is a roller bearing
available, I understand, but I don't think you need it.  In addition, I
have heard stories of the roller bearing conversion for the MGA
disintegrating, so the carbon style may be more reliable, although I have
no experience with the Spridget one.

I do suggest you replace it while you have access to it.  In any case, it
should be replaced anytime you redo the clutch.  It will wear down to the
metal, eventually.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD