Carburetor Issues Update

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carburetor Issues Update
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:35:41 -0700 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f6NFbhx19393
Hi all:

I checked the gas tank for rust with a magnet  the magnet came our
clean.

Opened up the float bowls on the carb  clean  no sediment at all.
Although it was obvious that the carbs have not been touched for a long
time.

I installed a gas filter and new rubber gas lines since I had already
picked them up at the parts store.

Check the air cleaner mounting bolt hole for stripped status  the
hole was not striped  in fact it was obvious that a bolt had not been
in that hole for a while.

Attempted to reinstalled air cleaner, hey wait a minute this thing does
not fit

Divided the air cleaner into the two components and installed them
separately.

Took the car for a drive  it ran great  did not miss at all and I
would swear it seemed to run cooler!

A week ago I drove the car to work and it was missing so badly I thought
I would not make it.  This morning I drove the car and it ran great  go
figure.

So it appears that the miss was caused by one of three things:

1. Restricted fuel line.
2. Excessive fuel pressure, reduced by fuel filter  unlikely I think
3. Restricted air flow to the number two carb brought about by
improperly mounted air cleaner.

What do you think?

Ray Sides, CPA, ABV
C. Delury & Associates