Re: springs groanin

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: springs groanin
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:08:00 -0700
Well Geoff, if you decide to lube dont use grease. Long term studies
with heavy
equipment (cranes and large trucks) show that if you use grease you
actually
decrease the life expectancy of your leaf springs. From what i
understand is that
the grease picks up grit and the grit destroys the springs. The thing
currently
recommended is a substance called "slip plate". It is a paint with
graphite in
it. Basically you paint it on and when dry it leaves a slippery, powdery
surface
that is exceptionally slippery. I tried it out on my brothers 67 toyota
landcruser (major 4x4) and it holds up beautifully. All the squeaking
and
groaning is gone even when off on some severe 4x4 trails. I plan on
putting it on
my sprite when I start rebuilding. Here is a link on where you can find
it.
http://www.wilmargraphite.com/productFrame.php?prod=Graphite+Coatings