Re: Now, the Seat Backs...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Now, the Seat Backs...
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 01:55:01 EDT
In a message dated 8/1/01 8:43:19 PM, jurban@caverge.com writes:

<<
It's now time to cover the seat backs.  Doesn't look as easy as the seat
bottoms.  This is for a '65 Sprite, with the later seats that have the
tubular frame.
- How does the "carpet piece" and vinyl surface get attached at the bottom
on the frame??
- Does anything get stapled??
- Is any other material used across the top portion of the seat, where the
foam and stiff backing meet the frame??

All the seats I've compared have had them done differently.  Hmmmm.

Originally these seats were attached to the tubular frame by C Clips, which
is probably how the seat bottoms are held on.  The same clips hold the back
to the frame at the bottom.  The seat back should be sewn together like a
pillowcase with the opening at the bottom.  This includes the carpet piece
and the front of the seat back.  I'm not positive and can't ascertain easily
just where the carpet piece ends at the bottom.  It seems like it should end
before it folds over the lower frame and have a tab of vinyl to attach to the
frame.  At any rate, when the seat back cover is put on, pull the front
(human) side of the cover down snug around the frame and use two or three
clips to hold it in place across  the bar on the lower back.  If there is
more than a little excess material, it can be trimmed away after clipping.
Then pull the back "tab" over the bar and clipped front tab and clip it in
different places along the bar.  The seat back cushion is just a piece of
flat foam about 3" thick as I recall.  I guess I would avoid putting anything
else in there, as it is certain to shift on you.

DON'T USE STAPLES ON THE SEATS--THEY WILL STAB YOU.  As a matter of fact, it
is probably best not to use staples except as a temporary holder to let the
glue dry.  I think I have finally got the ones I used in the bugeye doors out
after five years.

I too have seen seats done in several different ways--the best I can make of
it is that professional upholsterers have their own way of doing things which
doesn't include salvaging and painting fasteners or frames.  I assume you do
know that the seats are asymetric and that there is a left seat and a right
seat.  They won't fit right in the vehicle if you get them backwards.

Hope I didn't leave anything important out.  I looked for pictures from five
years ago, and I didn't find anything, so it must have seemed  pretty
straightforward at the time.

Good Luck

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)