Axle dimension and more questions

To: Ankitterer@aol.com, jkk@adams.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Axle dimension and more questions
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:38:07 EDT
Thanks to Annice and Bob for the info on the wire wheel axle and James detail
on the steel axle, especially so the neat tip on running the tape measure
inside the axle.

The axle casing I have (not the one on my car) is only 45 " and 7/8 from tip
to tip.  When I measured the casing yesterday I was surprised that the
measurement did not come out to a round number (eg 46") hence my need to
check.

So, do I have a steel wheel axle that has been shortened or a wire wheel axle
that has had both bearing mounting sections replaced, OR does axle width and
BMC quality control vary by an eighth of an inch, possibly three sixteenths
and does it matter (it might matter to me).  Also it does look like the
bearing mounting sections have been welded (neatly) onto the main tubes
though the work does not look recent and maybe the casings were constructed
that way.

Any advice, suggestions, general input very much appreciated.

Daniel1312

In a message dated 01/08/01 15:38:59 Pacific Daylight Time,