Re: A Dumb Question for BN!/2 Owners

To: magicare@home.com, Bkitterer@aol.com, gmuttart@mtdc.ns.ca
Subject: Re: A Dumb Question for BN!/2 Owners
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 20:42:31 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/8/01 12:46:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
magicare@home.com writes:

<< "A" series engines are all UNF / UNC >>

Hi All

I guess that my attempt to challenge the collective knowledge of the list
failed miserably so let me try again by restating and expanding the original
question.

"Can anyone name the Whitworth Form (BSF, BSW and BA) fasteners on the Bugeye
engine."

No where did I imply that the entire engine was put together with Whitworth
fasteners, only that there were a few.  Mike Salter is correct, the A series
engines are mostly UNF/UNC.  Secondly, and this is my fault for not making
myself clear in including the Lucas electricals as part of the engine e.g.,
the distributor, generator, etc.  Plus I also consider the original H-1
carburetors as part of the engine.  So the bottom line is that I give up, so
here are a few of the examples I was talking about.

1. There is one BSW bolt on the engine (generator).  A 5/16" (shank diameter)
BSW bolt that attaches the top of the generator link to the front case of the
generator (the generator case is tapped for this purpose).  The head of the
bolt will take a 1/4W or 5/16BSF wrench as you prefer.  I know that I will
hear from some of you saying that no, it's a ANC or UNC (there is a slight
but insignificant difference in these two) bolt and you are right that it
will fit since both the Whitworth bolt and the ANC/UNC bolts will have 18
TPI, but it is not correct.  They came from the factory with the Whitworth
bolt.

2.  The carburetors will use all Whitworth wrenches/spanners and are a
combination of BSF, BA and possibly BSP threads, so here are a couple of
examples.  The screws that hold the dashpots on are No. 2 BA, the float bowl
cover bolts take a 1/4W or 5/16 BSF wrench and the internal threads are 1/4
BSF.  Also the original brass damper caps will use a 7/16W or 1/2BSF wrench
and the threads I am not certain of.

3.  I think that you will find that most if not all of the internal threads
on the distributor and the Smith's guages are BA (British Association) which
is the one mistake that I made since BA threads are not a Whitworth Form but
rather a strange metric thread originally developed by the Swiss, but that is
another story.  The other Whitworth Form Threads are BSP/BSPT (British
Standard Pipe/Tapered).

Sorry for the confusion it was just a trivia quiz, so I guess that I'll take
my Whitworth wrenches and go home.

Cheers

Curt Arndt