Re: radiator - update LONGISH

To: Tommy_Samuels@markivauto.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: radiator - update LONGISH
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:33:01 EDT
In a message dated 8/13/01 8:54:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tommy_Samuels@markivauto.com writes:

> I grabbed my torch, flux, sandpaper, LEAD FREE solder hammer and vise grips.
> 20 minutes later both radiators are apart and ready for serious cleaning.
> I wire brushed, sanded and fluxed all the parts.
> Used the hammer and vise grips to tap and crimp the joints nice and tight
> Next thing you know, 1275 crossflow radiator built from pieces for the
> price of
> a 3 oz roll of solder and a little time
>
> I filled it w/ water, jammed rubber stoppers into the holes and pressurized
> it
> w/ a bike pump, One leak , easily repaired.
>
> Since it was nice and clean and paint free, I grabbed the Brasso and an old
> dish
> towel and polished the tanks
> My wife thinks I'm a

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Congratulations, Tommy!  That is the very best way to learn how to fix
something.  Just jump in and give it a try.  You will find that sometimes
things don't work out perfectly, but at least you will have learned something
in the process.  Referencing a book first may make it a little less risky.

I bet most of us OFs on the list learned most of what we know about cars this
way.  I know I did.

Allen Hefner  (Well into OFdom.)
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget