Re: Blown!!!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blown!!!
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:58:08 +0100
.......and the day before this I was driving along beside Ulswater
(Lake District, UK) in the sunshine at about 35mph when my 1500 engine
started a feint chatter which rapidly got louder. Temp guage reading
low!  Pulled off the road.  Lots of steam. Expansion tank full of warm
water, and pressurised. Left it to cool down for half an hour whilst I
went looking for something to fetch water in. Removed thermostat plug,
no water to be seen! Topped up (with engine running).  Seemed to be
running OK again so set off, but was definately down on power.  After
about 6 miles had to stop and top up again.  Continued like this home,
about 20 miles by which time I had put in 18 litres of water!! (5
gallons)

Compression test gives 130, 90, 120, 180
Mayonnaise

Stripped head last night. Checked head and block for warping. No
apparent damage, going for a new head gasket today.

Guy