Re: i need a front mudflap for my bugeye

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: i need a front mudflap for my bugeye
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:43:27 EDT
In a message dated 8/20/01 9:27:06 PM, AHtopia@aol.com writes:

<< the sprite that i purchased last year has about 1/2" - 3/4" of tire
sticking
out of only the right side fender well: it has front disc brakes and wire
wheels, new front suspension parts and no visible body/frame damage...my
question is, do i have a problem with my wheel alignment (camber looks a
little off but is not adjustable as i understand), or is it something else,
or is it nothing? i read somewhere that when front discs were put on these
cars the track became wider due to the hubs...any serious opinions/answers
appreciated.

I hung onto your e-mail in the hope that someone more experienced than I
would get back to you.  Since that hasn't happened, thought I would try to
get some more information and maybe try again to get something going.  I do
know that the wire wheels and disk brakes didn't come on the Bugeye.  On my
own bugeye, we replaced everything out from the A-frames from the '67 Mark
IV.   At that time it was common to see Bugeyes running around  with disk
brakes and wire wheels in front and drum brakes and disk wheels in back.  We
used the rear banjo (1" shorter than the stock one in the bugeye),
suspension, and axles out of a Mark I Midget, the only one with a quarter
elliptical suspension, and for a long long time we had the only satisfactory
wire wheeled Bugeye around.  I believe it is the wire wheels that cause the
wider track, which is why we (and  BMC) used shorter axle housings for them.
This keeps the track the same as it was with the disk wheels.

Some of the older shops can adjust toe-in and camber on Sprites.  It is
adjustable.

Advice is, look for physical differences between the left and right side
parts.  Might as well start with the tire and pay attention to whether they
are the same size (don't laugh), and then go inward to wheels, axles, and so
on.  Something should show up that is fairly obviously different or
asymetrical.  Even new  parts can be wrong.

It would help to know generally where you are geographically.   There must be
some trustworthy vendors and listers near you.

Don't Panic.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)